Saturday, June 16, 2012

Paige's Pick: "Fact or Fiction"

The topic of my pick this week is one I feel absolutely necessary to talk about, and should have been addressed a long time ago. After hearing the same statement used by women over and over, I just had to do a pick after hearing yet another customer say, "I can't wear that, my daughter wears those!" This is the story of one too many women that come into YU. If you've heard yourself say this, thought about saying it, or heard a friend say it, it's time to listen up close, and pay attention: I'm here to change your mind!

Let's put your fashion senses to the test, and play a game called "Fact or Fiction," I say a statement, and you decide whether it is "fact" or "fiction."

Scenario number one: "My daughter wears ripped jeans with a tank top. I like this look, but it's far too young, and would make me look like I'm trying to be 16 all over again. I could never pull something like that off at my age." Fact or fiction? If you guessed fiction, you're absolutely correct, and I applaud you! You're probably thinking, "Okay, but I'm wearing what my daughter would be wearing, so what's the difference?" My advice to you is to change up the way you accessorize the look differentiating it from how your daughter would wear it...choose items to make your outfit more "sophisticated." Where your daughter may just throw on a tank with a pair of ripped jeans, you can do the same, BUT with the addition of a jacket to give the look more structure, OR you could add some jewellery to "dress" up the look. Although I know your daughter looks cute and care free in her look, you'll be looking more stylish and pulled together in your look!




Scenario number two (this one's slightly trickier) : "My daughter always wears cropped tops. I love the look, but don't feel like I have the stomach to pull that off anymore." Fact or fiction? If you guessed fiction, you couldn't be more right! Honest. Cropped tops no longer need to head straight to your daughter's closet, you're allowed to have fun too! I will agree with the majority that says a tank or something similar needs to go under these shorter tops, even if you're still rocking a fit body and tight stomach!!!




Scenario number three: "My daughter's closet is full of shorts, from denim to khaki. Honestly, I wish I could pull off shorts, but those years are long gone. I'm just going to stick to pants, or long skirts for the summer. Let's face it, I'm too old for shorts." Fact or fiction? I sure hope you all chose fiction! This problem sounds ridiculous when you read it out loud, doesn't it? Not to alarm you, but the number of times I have heard this uttered by women is just ludicrous. Shorts are meant for everyone, they don't discriminate!!! Let's start with denim shorts: anyone can wear these, the length of them depends on you, and your body. If you love to show off your legs, by all means go ahead and get the shorter ones; if you'd like to hide more of your leg, which I know a lot of you say you do, get a longer pair that hits at, or just above the knee. There's another way to pull off this look, and I think this is perhaps the best way for you moms out there who aren't comfortable in shorts to be more comfortable: try wearing colored, patterned, silk, lace, or black shorts. I guarantee your daughter's closet is NOT going to be full of these! Wearing "dressier" shorts automatically makes the look more mature, and age appropriate. Another thing to consider is wearing wedges, or a medium height heels with your shorts instead of flip flops. This will serve to elongate the legs...I guarantee this will give you more confidence, and have ALL eyes peeled on you for all the right reason!




Clothing choices should not really be about age; it's how you choose to style them that determines whether or not they are right for you. Stop worrying about what your daughters are wearing, style your look to flatter your body, and hey, maybe you'll make your daughter wish she was wearing what you are! Good luck!!!

***Dharshi, we thought of you!!!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Yu Fashion | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig