Friday, December 10, 2010

Fashionistas Beware...

Have you ever been in a situation where something was either said, or done to you that was so bizarre you didn't know how to react? I can now say I have. I was doing some Christmas shopping the other night when the following conversation took place between myself and a stranger:

Stranger: "Excuse me, I love your shoes. They're very sexy."
Me: "Thanks." (As I'm talking to him, I'm taking note of his shearling hat, which I thought was pretty cool.)
Stranger: "I love your (faux) leopard coat as well...very stylish."
Me: "Thanks."
AND THEN IT TURNS...
Stranger: "Can you answer a question for me? Do you have a brain?"
Me: (dumbfounded) "Pardon???"
Stranger: "Do you have a brain?"
Me: "Yes, I have a brain." (Should have walked away at this point, why I didn't, I'll never know.)
Stranger: "Do you use it??? Or were you just born to look stylish?"
Me: (In as curt a voice as I could muster) "Yes, I use it."
Stranger: "Miss, what's your name?"
Me: "Diane." (Again, why I gave him my name, or continued with this conversation, I'll never know.)
Stranger: "What do you do for fun?"
Me: (Quite annoyed at this point) "Not much. I'm just a girl who happens to like fashion, has a brain, and uses it."
Stranger: "Oh, you're boring, not a little boring, BIG boring!!!" AND THEN HE WALKS AWAY!!! Can you believe it???

OMG!!! I can't believe this happened to me! I'd like to think that I am a competent person who can (usually) handle herself in difficult circumstances, but I was totally, and completely floored. I couldn't come up with anything (clever) to say!!! I was telling a customer this story today, when she gave me the BEST possible response: "Yes, I'm a real live Barbie doll, now piss-off!!!" (Thanks Alicia!!!) Wish I would've come up with that one on my own last night!!! Yes, I do have brain; unfortunately, it just wasn't fully functioning last night...hahahaha. Obviously I need to brush up on my "smart come-back" repertoire, so please kindly leave suggestions as to what I could possibly say the next time something like this happens to me...thanks!!! xoxoxo
Share:

8 comments

  1. DIANE!

    I am appalled at what that guy, rather that PIG said to you! I can definitely relate to you regarding having no come-back. You know that we are alike when it comes to that. I am just amazed that there are people out there who are still so narrow-minded, and in this case about fashion. If only they knew that fashion is an art form - one in which people express themselves though color, fabric, and design - and one that requires a brain! This guy obviously thinks that he is the 'beez-kneeze' and feels like his word is God. As if he has every right to speak his mind and the things he does or says won't affect anyone else. And of course, why would it because the world revolves around HIM! This is the first time in my life I have ever heard of this happening, and I hope I don't hear about it again. As a result, I do not even think this guy DESERVED a come-back. He did and does not even deserve the time of day, or for you to waste your breath on him. However, if anything like this should ever happen again, I do think that a psychological assault (which is what this was) and a physical assault are equal. A slap to the side of the face might have equalled the playing field! No speaking necessary!

    Some of you reading this may think this extreme. Perhaps Fay, I might imagine you saying that this is not lady-like. However, I don't think any witty come-back would have proved anything to this guy or put him in his place. He is obviously way beyond any sort of rational thought or reasoning. I also think that this is the correct course of action because I believe that people like Diane and I are sick and tired of being pushed around all the time! Time to take control Diane! "TEAM DIANE!"

    Tennille ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tennille!!! So happy you're still reading our blogs...once a Yu girl, always a Yu girl!!! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I have to admit, I'm still in shock since hearing this story a couple days ago...I am absolutely HORRIFIED (not to mention just completely P***ED OFF) that someone messed with our Diane!! All I can say is I'm sure this guy was jealous (you did say he was trying to be stylish himself)...so maybe you could have said "well, try as you might, you'll never be as pretty as me Loser!". Luv you Diane and I can only imagine if you were to sick your followers/devotees on him...we would have torn him limb from limb!

    PS Hey Tennille!xo Love your comment - TEAM DIANE...love it!! (hope you're well...miss you!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to see Diane receive a little guidance on this strange experience. Now, I'd like to hear from the male counterparts.........Mr.Lola, David and everyone else. What are YOUR thoughts?? Needing a male perspective on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane,What a JERK !!! As you know I am a Brain Doctor, and can Medically Testify that YOU DO INDEED HAVE A BRAIN! However a large portion of it, just like my wife Claire, is devoted to Fashion and Shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that the stranger was obviously tres jealous of diane's ability to effortlessly pick out a pair of sexy shoes that can provoke random conversations, and probably he has some sort of morbid freudian childhood complex like he used to wear his mothers cheap pumps and strut about the homestead (a la silence of the lambs)

    Listen there is no shortage of strange strangers (especially in shopping malls) and it goes to show that we should never talk to strangers as they may be closeted transexual maniacs who have issues with people with that have nice shoes and cool socially responsible coats

    Enough said
    DV

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Diane! If I were you I would have turned to him and said "Do you have a d**k? Do you use it to think?"

    ReplyDelete

© Yu Fashion | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig